Whether we admit it or not, we are biological. At times, it might feel like we are special and that we transcend our surroundings, but the reality is that we are limited by flesh and blood. Consequently, our physical and mental health is affected by food and water.
No matter how much we’d like to feel like we’re in control, the truth of the matter is that in most ways, we are at the mercy of the chemicals in our head. One of the best things you can do to make sure you are always in tip-top condition is to drink more water
The human body can last up to 40 days without consuming any food, however, it can only last a mere two days without water in comparison. This stark difference illustrates how important water is to our well-being. Now that we understand this, let us go one step further and talk about hot water, specifically, the benefits of drinking hot water.
Benefits of drinking hot water
- It aids in digestion – Hot water has been shown to stimulate digestion. When you drink a warm liquid, your body won’t use as much energy to break down the food you’ve eaten. This makes it very easy for the body to digest and lets the food pass smoothly through the intestines.
- It’s a free detox – Hot water has been shown to flush the toxins out of the body as the body sweats more and urinates more. Forget about all of those juice cleanses. Drink warm water instead; your wallet or purse will thank you.
- It improves blood circulation – As already mentioned, hot water flushes toxins out of the body. It also flushes fat deposits which are circulating your body right now resulting in improved blood circulation. The veins and arteries expand which then give more space for the blood to flow.
- It is nature’s pain relief – Hot water relaxes muscles and relieves pain. Women with menstrual cramps would do well to drink a cup of hot water to ease the pain. It also helps combat headaches and other body aches.
- It helps you lose weight – Hot water takes space in the stomach which helps you feel fuller for longer. This results in fewer trips to the kitchen at midnight which means fewer calories eaten which then translates into weight loss. Hot water also raises the body’s temperature. This increases the rate of metabolism resulting in more calories burned at rest.
- It helps you age slower – People paranoid about aging should drink a cup of hot water before bed. After detoxifying, the skin recovers faster. Cells also repair themselves at a quicker pace which translates into glowing skin. This means that it is elastic. Elastic skin has a very low risk of wrinkles. People with acne can rejoice as hot water helps against acne by unclogging pores.
- It is easier on the teeth – Warm water is more easily absorbed and is better for the teeth, and for restorations. It is important to remember to not overdo it by making sure the water isn’t too hot.
- It eases constipation – Constipation is usually caused by a lack of water in the body. Starting each day with a cup of hot water is a great way of reducing the likelihood of constipation. The elevated temperature of hot water stimulates the intestinal peristalsis and helps with sluggish bowel movements and constipation. If you’re suffering from little to no bowel movement, a cup of hot water might be just the remedy you’re looking for.
Risks of drinking hot water
- There is a higher risk of contamination – Contaminants are able to mix better with warm water than with cold water. Be wary of contaminants from your tap.
- There is a higher chance of burning your mouth and throat – If you’re careless, you can burn your mouth and throat while drinking hot water. This can result in minor burns and redness.
- You can injure your internal organs – The internal linings of your organs can be damaged by hot water. It can also cause minor zits which aren’t a lot of fun.
- Too much hot water can dilute the blood – This is a very real danger. Too much of a good thing isn’t good for you. Drinking too much hot water can dilute the blood in your blood vessels.
- It can lower your total intake of water – Warm water isn’t the easiest to consume, and it has been shown to reduce the urge to drink water.
- It can disturb your sleep – Drinking hot water results in more trips to the bathroom at night resulting in disturbed sleep. This can make you wake up feeling like you haven’t had a good night’s rest.
- It has the potential to damage your kidneys – Too much warm water running through your kidneys can damage their ability to filter out toxins. Be extra careful with how much water you drink.
The benefits of drinking hot water far outweigh any risks mentioned. The most important thing to note is to not overdo it. A single cup before bed or in the morning is a great way to start. If you are still skeptical about the benefits of drinking hot water, try it yourself and decide if it is hogwash or not. It’s definitely worth a try.